With an over 5,000-year history, herbal remedies are one of the most important tools in acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine, as well as an excellent alternative to pharmaceuticals. Pharmaceuticals are often prescribed for lifetime use and can have negative, long-term side effects. Herbal remedies, however, are taken until they’ve re-balanced and strengthened the body, promoting health rather than dependency.
With extensive training in Chinese herbal medicine, Devon has over 800 educational training hours, as well as years of hands-on experience in working with these formulas through her internships and private practice.
We’d be delighted to talk to you about our herbal remedies. Contact us to schedule a consultation!
How Can Herbal Medicine Help You?
Herbal remedies treat a wide range of medical conditions and diseases. Just a few of the areas that herbal remedies most effectively treat include:
- Musculoskeletal Disorders: Issues such as migraines, acute back pain, chronic shoulder and neck pain, broken bones, osteoporosis, gout, joint pain and traumatic injuries
- Cardiovascular Disorders: Issues such as hypertension, high cholesterol, circulatory disorders and coronary artery disease
- Respiratory Disorders: Issues such as viral and bacterial infections, rhinitis, cold, flu, cough, sinus infection and asthma
- Digestive Disorders: Issues such as constipation, diarrhea, food poisoning, ulcer, acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s Disease and abdominal pain
- Menstrual Disorders: Issues such as amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, infertility, menstrual pain, fibroids and yeast Infections
- Pediatric Disorders: Issues such as ADHD, teething, allergies, asthma, cold, cough, fever, insomnia, bedwetting and stomachache
What is an Herbal Remedy?
An herbal remedy or formula is a combination of several herbs chosen both for its own specific function as well as the synergistic relationship they create together. Included in herbal formulas are ingredients like leaves, stems, flowers and roots, as well as animal elements and minerals. Each remedy is specifically customized for your individual constitution and healthcare concern.
Our Herbal Suppliers
Patient safety and herbal remedy effectiveness are among our highest concerns. As such, Acupuncture by Devon has selected Evergreen Herbs and Metagenics as our primary herbal and nutritional supplement companies.
- Evergreen Herbs uses the best of modern technology to provide traditional Chinese herbal remedies here in the United States. The Evergreen pharmaceutical-grade, full-spectrum extracts are required to pass stringent quality testing which ensures the safest, most effective products on the market. On average, herbs must pass 15 tests before being considered acceptable for patient use.
- Metagenics is the premier manufacturer of science-based medical foods and nutritional supplements. It’s one of the first companies in the industry to achieve three independent certifications for Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP). Metagenics is recognized as the standard for nutritional formulas to help patients live healthier, happier lives.
What are the potential side effects?
When prescribed by a licensed acupuncturist, the side effects of herbal formulas are minimal. With pharmaceutical medications, the active ingredient is removed from the plant or prepared in a laboratory removing cellulose and other important components. This is why medications have so many side effects.
Herbal remedies, however, use all the components of an herb, including the cellulose to minimize the potential for side effects. In some cases, if you have a weaker digestive system, you may experience discomfort after taking a formula. If this is the case, please stop taking the herbal remedy and contact Devon.
Curious about how herbs can help you? Contact us for an herbal consultation!